History of Douaumont Ossuary

Ossuaire de Douaumont The battle of Verdun, 21 February – December 1916, 300 days and 300 nights of hard fighting, appalling. 26 000 000 bombshells fired by the artillery so 6 bombshells per square meter, thousands of shredded bodies, nearly 300.000 French and German soldiers missing.. Ossuaire de DouaumontThe provisional Ossuary between 1920 and 1927 It’s when he comes to this appalling place, the first days after the Armistice, that Lord GINISTY, bishop of Verdun with the general VALANTIN, Verdun’s governor, has the idea to give a decent burial to those bless human remains where the families can come to meditate and pray for their dear deceased. August 22th, 1920 The first two stones were sealed by the Marshal PETAIN, Honorary President of the Ossuary Committee, and by Monseigneur Charles GINISTY. September 17th, 1927 The solemn transfer from the provisional Ossuary to the final Ossuary of the 52 graves who represent the different zones of the battle of Verdun is done. August 7th, 1932 It was the official unveiling by the French President Albert LEBRUN. The Architects AZEMA, Grand prix de Rome EDREI et HARDY, Government’s graduates